Tuesday 1 May 2018

New professional title

For some time I've called myself a Graphic Designer and I think that's the wrong term to describe what I do, and it, in fact, can take away some value from my work.

Graphic design is a wide and blurry concept for those that are not graphic designers. Everyone's practice is different and for different purposes, so I thought it needed to be more specific.

I've been thinking a lot this year about what I want to be doing in the future and I want to be a consultant, a person that business people trust and contact to solve communication problems. I want to be a partner, a person of confidence and someone that puts the clients needs first and not aesthetic pursues.

I see a graphic designer as what it is, a designer of graphics. A person who creates graphics so they can be used for different purposes. I'm that as well, but I'm more than that. This post written by Jose Caballer totally shifted my perspective of what I can do.

I see more clearly what my role can be. So instead of using a familiar title, I decided to describe in simple words what I do: I transform brands into experiences with strategic thinking and clarity. This is my new professional title and this is what I want to be known for.

No comments:

Post a Comment